OHIO-BIRDS Archives

June 2014

From:
Charles Bombaci <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Charles Bombaci <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 14 Jun 2014 10:58:48 -0700
I spent this delightfully pleasant morning hosting Jamie Taylor at the Hoover Nature Preserve. This was his first trip to the preserve and we birded at Area L off Dustin Road, Area N off Front Street in Galena, and Hoover Meadows off Sunbury Road. With mild temperatures, only a very slight breeze and clear skies the birding conditions were ideal. The first goal was to enjoy some of the Prothonotary Warblers nesting along my nest box trail. They did not disappoint us as we encountered them in each area visited. We had great views of both the males and females at both nest boxes and natural cavities. They sang, captured caterpillars and made trips into the nest sights. The nesting season activity at the preserve continues to be going very well with the water level remaining perfect for the Prothonotary Warblers. This year they are doing well in every area surveyed.

Life must have more than just Prothonotary Warblers even if that alone makes me happy. Some of the other species we observed during the morning included Canada Geese with their goslings, Double-crested Cormorants, Osprey, Red-headed Woodpeckers (on overtime feeding their brood), Great Crested and Willow Flycatchers, Phoebe and Pewee, Red-eyed and Warbling Vireo (also heard a Yellow-throated calling), Cliff Swallows (under the Galena bridges), Eastern Bluebirds (many at Hoover Meadows), Gray Catbirds, Common Yellowthroat, Yellow Warbler, Field Sparrows and Baltimore Orioles.

Some mornings are just meant to be enjoyed with a walk in nature. Today was one of them.

Charlie Bombaci, Hoover Nature Preserve, for Jamie Taylor and myself.