OHIO-BIRDS Archives

June 2014

From:
Bruce Stambaugh <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Bruce Stambaugh <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 15 Jun 2014 14:52:29 -0400
Thank you, Haans.

Your words are right on, appropriate and wise for all birders everywhere.

I did read the ABA code of ethics at your suggestion, and you are correct in saying that they were not violated at the Black Rail location.

I did observe borderline actions to flush the bird so the many gathered could actually see the bird, not just hear it. I was a bit uncomfortable with those attempts, but after talking with Henry Troyer, it was clear he understood the situation, respected the bird, and knew this situation was extremely unusual. Never did he say anything about losing time to gather his hay, or even losing hay because people were trampling. Most of all he wanted people to see this rare bird, and I couldn't fault him for that.

Thanks, again.

Bruce