OHIO-BIRDS Archives

June 2014

From:
Peggy Wang <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Peggy Wang <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 15 Jun 2014 17:48:52 -0400
V pleasant day to be out birding. Clear Creek was actually chilly in the morning.

I did OK on breeding warblers--highlights were a Worm-eating popping up on a branch near the Cabins parking lot & giving me drop dead views of all his fieldmarks including the best ever looks at the head pattern. Then on the Prairie Warbler trail I heard a soft chup note & a male Kentucky Warbler perched up right in front of me, a fat caterpillar in his bill. On my way out, I stopped at a fishing pullout & was delighted to hear a Veery singing. As I was enjoying that, a Cerulean landed just 5 feet from me--I don't know who was more surprised, the warbler or me. It made a quick retreat but I still had nice looks.

Warblers:
Worm-eating
Am Redstart
N Parula
Yellow-throated
Black & White
Black-throated Green
Yellow
Kentucky
Cerulean
Com Yellowthroat
La Waterthrush
Hooded
Ovenbird (incl a scruffy-cute juvenile that seemed fascinated regarding a human until his parents kind of "urged" him to move deeper into the woods)

Vireos:
White-eyed
Yellow-throated
Red-eyed
Warbling

Veery (singing)
Wood Thrush
Brown Thrasher
Cedar Waxwings
Ruby-throated HB
Acadian FC
E Phoebe
E Peewee
Indigo Bunting
E Towhee (a few family grps w/juveniles)

Butterfly numbers seem low but picked up FOS Red Admiral, Great Spangled Fritillary, Little Wood Satyr, E Comma.

Peggy Wang
Lancaster