OHIO-BIRDS Archives

June 2014

From:
Steve Jones <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Steve Jones <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 15 Jun 2014 23:28:51 -0400
Every year around this time I take a trip down part of the Scioto in my
Kayak by either starting at my house, or ending there.  This year it was
start from my house (I live by the river) and go to Espyville Rd.  As the
bird  flies it is 7.9..ish miles, but as the Kayak floats...and my arms
paddle...it was 13 :-O No wonder I'm tired.  Kayak went in the water at 2
pm and was back on the chase vehicle at 8pm...so that is about 2-2.5 knots
(mph, not like the knots in my arms. :-D )

 Some of the birds are by ear due to the speed at which I was floating by,
dodging trees, counting turtles, portaging the kayak around
obstacles...etc, and the mud all over my binoculars (I had mud all over
everything by the time I got to Espyville Rd. :-D.)  No pictures due to I
didn't want to risk losing my camera to the muddy Scioto. :-)  But I still
had a great day birding.  I got four for my 2014 county list...7 away from
170...which will put me 20 over last year...but I am going to go for
180...if we can get the right birds down/up here.

Happy Birding, and God Bless!

Steve J.

Scioto River, Marion, US-OH
Jun 15, 2014 2:00 PM - 8:00 PM
Protocol: Traveling
8.0 mile(s)
Comments:     Kayaking down Scioto River. From LaRue to Espyville Rd. 8
miles is as the crow flies.  Since there was a lot of turning in the river,
the distance was considerably more. But line of sight is 8 miles.
67 species

Canada Goose  8
Wood Duck  4
Mallard  8