OHIO-BIRDS Archives

June 2014

From:
robert lane <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
robert lane <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 18 Jun 2014 10:19:10 -0400
We arrived at "The Conneaut Sandspit" in Ashtabula County, at about 7:50AM this morning, Wednesday. A heavy downpour and sixty-nine degrees was the weather. Lake Erie was brutal. No boats out today. No less than 52 Bald Eagles were on the breakwalls and in the harbor area. 5 adults and 47 juveniles were an amazing sight. Who needs to go to Alaska for Bald Eagles? We counted at least 160 active burrows at the Bank Swallow colony to the east of the end of the marina road. Shorebirds present were a single Semipalmated Sandpiper, 2 Spotted Sandpipers, and 3 Killdeer. Ring-billed and Herring were the only gulls. 2 Caspian Terns rounded out the highlights. It is now 10:15AM, the rain has stopped, and we have "The Sandspit" to ourselves.

Bob and Denise Lane / Mahoning County