OHIO-BIRDS Archives

June 2014

From:
rob thorn <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
rob thorn <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 21 Jun 2014 17:19:15 -0400
I visited several areas around this southern Columbus suburb, and found interesting summering birds at many locations.  I stopped at Cruiser Pond & the nearby Blacklick Greenway bikepath, the Groveport Blacklick Canal Park, several access points for Walnut Woods MetroPark (Tall Pines & Buckeye), and the Bareis nature Preserve (which is in neighboring Canal Winchester). The cool cloudy weather allowed many birds to stay active & singing through most of the morning.  Notable finds included

Raptors - young Red-tails were at many locations, and a Kestrel was hunting at Bareis Preserve.

Cuckoos - Tall Pines area of Walnut Woods had 2 calling Yellow-billed and 1 Black-billed.  This is one of the best recent spots near Columbus to find the latter species.

Flycatchers - Pewees were at almost every stop, while Acadians were in the forest along the Groveport Blacklick bikepath and the weird planted forests at Tall Pines.  E.Kingbirds were at both Cruiser Pond and at the Buckeye area of Walnut Woods.  Willows were still calling at the Tall Pines area, Buckeye, and Bareis.

Vireos - Red-eyed were common at most forested areas, while yellow-throated were at many of the same locations.  White-eyed were calling at Tall Pines & Bareis, While Warbling were at Buckeye & Bareis

Warblers - Common Yellowthroats were indeed common in most of these field areas, as were yellow Warblers.  Yellow-throated were along the creek at the Groveport Blacklick bikepath, and in the pines at the Tall Pines area.  More unusual were singing Black&Whites at the Groveport Blacklick bikepath and the Tall Pines area; a Hooded was also singing at Tall Pines.  Yellow-br.Chats were missing from Bareis, but still calling at Groveport Canal Park and at Tall Pines.

Grosbeaks - singing Rose-breasted were at the Groveport Blacklick bikepath. Canal Park, and Bareis, where a female was carrying food.  Despite good habitat, I couldn't find any Blue Grosbeaks at any of these spots.

Orioles - Baltimore adults feeding fledglings were at the Groveport Blacklick bikepath and at Bareis (2 pairs).  Male Orchard Orioles were singing at Buckeye and at Bareis, but were missing from Tall Pines, usually a reliable spot for them.