OHIO-BIRDS Archives

June 2014

From:
Haans Petruschke <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Haans Petruschke <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 23 Jun 2014 08:38:34 -0400
Hi,

This year marks the 10th running I have been doing some kind of breeding
bird survey around Kirtland.  Since we use the OBBA upgrade protocol I do
not track actual numbers of individuals observed except in a related study
of Louisiana Waterthrush.  None the less after a decade of systematic study
and a lifetime of casual observation you do get a feel for such things.
 Also my training and experience makes me very aware of normal random
variation and how rare variation due to special causes actually is. The
Kirtland area has thousands of acres of mature forests and consequently my
observations are mostly of birds that breed in such habitat. These are
mostly observations about migrant species with 1 or 2 exceptions. So in no
particular order:

Dark-eyed Junco- Not abundant this year.  While common in appropriate
habitat, they are not everywhere in that habitat as in the past few years.

Rose-breasted Grosbeak (Bose-grested Rosbeak) These are the predominant
species in my yard this season.  In years past it has been the
aforementioned Juncos, but this year it is the Rosbeak.  In other areas I
have not seen a similar abundance and would say numbers are very similar to
other years

Wood Thrush- A very good year for this species.  We are finding them not
only wherever there is complete canopy, but also near edges

Louisiana Waterthush- Higher numbers being found in both stream beds and
side runs.  Confirmed nests in 2 locations.

Yellow-throated Vireo- Unprecedented numbers this late in June.  We often
find them into early June, but this year we are finding them in low
densities everywhere, and they are continuing.  Often cited as an indicator
species of unfragmented forest, I have often wondered why they are not more
prevalent here given our abundance of that habitat.

Blue-headed Vireo- Not as many as in past years

Winter Wren- Numbers are down.  Rare nesting species show high levels of
variation to the observer because presence or absence is easily detectable.
 So while in previous years we might find 10 plus territories in ~4000
acres of forest, this year we are only finding 2 or 3 and only 1 confirmed
nest.

Black-throated Green Warbler- Another species who's numbers are down in our
area.

Black-throated Blue Warbler- Absent for a 2nd year running after a run of 6
years in the same location with multiple territories.

Acadian Flycatcher - Steady numbers with little variation year to year.

Eastern Pheobe - Numbers seem down from other years.

Eastern Wood Pewee - No noticeable change from other years

Veery - While never common as a breeding species they are few and far
between this year.

Ovenbird - For the past 10 years we have found this species in very small
numbers in relation to what I remember in previous decades.  This year
numbers continue to be very low. Only 1 probable nester.

Hooded Warbler - Numbers withing the expected observed range.

Barred Owl- Obvious breeding success in multiple locations.  My own
observation is that Barred Owls are found in a density of about 1 breeding
pair per 100 acres.  Given the longevity of this species it is not
surprising they are also social and the numbers of non breeding individuals
is far higher than breeding pairs.

Purple Finch - Fewer than in previous years. Not as obvious.

Orchard Oriole - While not a forest interior species it is my observation
that numbers have been increasing over the past decade.  Yesterday we found
fledged young and adults carrying food in a 5 acre area withing a few
minutes of each other.

Ruby-throated Hummingbird - Far fewer than in past years.

Red-Shouldered Hawk - Numbers continue to be very low

Red-tailed Hawk - Multiple nests, more than in past years

Indigo Bunting - Uncommon this year in our area.

Those are the species that come to mind. We have roughly 100 species known
to have nested in the immediate area, so this is by no means intended to be
a comprehensive report, but rather a highlight.

Haans