OHIO-BIRDS Archives

June 2014

From:
Charles Bombaci <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Charles Bombaci <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 26 Jun 2014 15:45:17 -0700
Today I checked the status of several areas around the north end of Hoover Reservoir. The water level is as high as I have observed it over the last 40 years. All areas along the edge of the reservoir are flooded. Oxbow Road is currently closed as it is underwater. Mudhen Marsh is more like Mudhen Lake. Area L (Dustin Road) is underwater. Areas M and N are flooded. The boardwalk is closed until the water recedes. The water had covered the boardwalk deck as attested by the driftwood and debris all along the walking deck. The path that follows the old roadbed in Area N is flooded beginning near the head of the trail. And on and on. The boat launches at the north end of the reservoir are flooded and many docks are covered with water. Caution should be the rule until the high and rapid water recedes.

I was quite concerned as to the status of the nesting Prothonotary Warblers as most are in the hatchling stage with the young still in the nest. Where I was able to check my nest boxes are mostly above the water although a few are having "flooded basements" as the water has reached the bottom of the boxes. I will be conducting more checks in the coming days but as I always attempt to install the nest boxes higher than the historic high water mark those Prothonotary Warblers nesting in one of the boxes will most likely fare better than those using natural cavities.

Many natural cavity nests are lower than the historic high water mark and I fear many will have been washed out. Surveys during the next few days will tell more but I am already aware of multiple flooded out nest sites. The birds are at the mercy of nature and from time to time an event such as the recent rains extract a high cost. This is likely one of those times.

I did have reason for hope though as I observed Prothonotary Warbler pairs at Oxbow Road, Area M, Area N, Dustin Road and along Big Walnut Creek. The overall population has been healthy this year and they will survive and thrive in the long term. However, this year has gone from a very positive beginning to one of concern that many nests may have been loss.

Charlie Bombaci
Hoover Nature Preserve