OHIO-BIRDS Archives

June 2014

From:
Ken Ostermiller <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Ken Ostermiller <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 27 Jun 2014 14:17:32 -0400
We had a wonderful early summer day of birding in the Oak Openings in Lucas
County on Thursday. We found three new birds for the year on our stops.
There were many Lark Sparrows at the Oak Opening Metropark. Best views were
along Girdham Road looking into the closed areas with a scope. Thursday
morning was cloudy and the Lark Sparrows were displaying high in the
branches of the dead trees in the area. We got great views with our scope.

The other two new birds for the year we found at the Kitty Todd Preserve --
a Yellow-breasted Chat was calling and we finally got good looks at it on
the edge of the woods. And then a very cooperative Summer Tanager was
singing above the area where you find Prickly Pear Cactus at Kitty Todd. We
also heard Lark Sparrows singing at Kitty Todd.

On our way home we stopped at Ottawa NWR and Magee Marsh for brief visits.
There were about 40 Great Egrets along the Magee causeway along with a few
Great Blue Herons and four Snowy Egrets.

We had 69 species for the day -- not bad for finding our summer resident
birds.

Ken Ostermiller
Westfield Center
Medina County