OHIO-BIRDS Archives

June 2014

From:
Steve Jones <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Steve Jones <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 1 Jun 2014 11:15:31 -0400
First I started off at Indian Lake, hoping to find some more Black Terns,
but it was a bust.  But I did take the Pew Island Trail, just to see what
is there.  A few of everything.  Looks like it might be a good rest stop on
the spring highway...

Since it looked like beach combing was going to be terrible, I went back
home and got my kayak out today and did a little PROW (Prothonotary
Warbler) censusing at Big Island Wildlife Area. The Barn Pond (My name, it
isn't really named on the map but it is the pond on LaRue Prospect that is
behind the white barn) and Unit B (Where the duck blind is.)

The PROWs had been very quiet this year, usually I can hear them from LaRue
Prospect in the Oxbow, but due to all the high water, some of the normal
nesting spots were under water. So I was a little worried that numbers were
going to be lower this year. Turns out there was almost two DOZEN! (16; 12
in the Barn pond, and 4 in Unit B.) Males were singing everywhere and there
were females either in the nesting cavity, or gathering food. So it was a
good day. I wasn't able to get deep enough into the woods due to
vegetation...and no hip waders, or there probably would have been closer to
20-24.

Also the Kingbirds are nesting all around the Barn pond. I had 3 nests, and
another pair that I didn't see their nest...due to the same issue above.

Unit B I had never been on, but from the road I noticed that there were
some cuts in the Cattails that seemed to stretch back near the back, so I
thought I would give it a go. Most of this area can't be seen from the dike
that surrounds the unit due to the Cattails so I really didn't know what to
expect.
Finally The Wood Ducks were everywhere it seems...except the nesting boxes.

List of the birds below.

Blog post with pictures and some shaky video that Youtube is trying to
settle down :-D :
http://www.sjlarue.com/blog/2014/6/protonotary-nesting-activity

Happy Birding, and God Bless!

Steve J

Pew Island, Logan, US-OH
May 31, 2014 9:00 AM - 10:00 AM
Protocol: Traveling
1.0 mile(s)
Comments:     Interesting little gravel trail surrounding two settling
ponds used to filter dredging liquid. Also a small boardwalk over some
marshy areas.  During hunting season, boardwalk is blocked off, but the
detour is still a good walk. Surprising variety of birds for such a small
space...probably a lot more in spring migration. Climb hill to see
containment ponds...possible shorebird habitat.
46 species

Canada Goose  8
Wood Duck  2
Mallard  4
Pied-billed Grebe  2
Double-crested Cormorant  8
Great Blue Heron  2
Turkey Vulture  4
American Coot  4
Killdeer  2
Ring-billed Gull  2
Mourning Dove  4
Ruby-throated Hummingbird  2
Red-headed Woodpecker  1
Red-bellied Woodpecker  1
Downy Woodpecker  1
Eastern Wood-Pewee  2
Willow Flycatcher  2
Great Crested Flycatcher  1
Eastern Kingbird  2
Warbling Vireo  2
Red-eyed Vireo  2
Blue Jay  2
American Crow  2
Northern Rough-winged Swallow  1
Tree Swallow  4
Barn Swallow  4
Carolina Chickadee  2
Tufted Titmouse  2
White-breasted Nuthatch  2
House Wren  2
Blue-gray Gnatcatcher  2
American Robin  4
Gray Catbird  4
Northern Mockingbird  1
European Starling  8
Cedar Waxwing  4
Yellow Warbler  4
Chipping Sparrow  2
Song Sparrow  2
Northern Cardinal  2
Red-winged Blackbird  8
Common Grackle  2
Brown-headed Cowbird  4
Baltimore Oriole  4
American Goldfinch  4
House Sparrow  4

Big Island Pond Behind White Barn, Marion, US-OH
May 31, 2014 12:00 PM - 3:00 PM
Protocol: Traveling
1.0 mile(s)
Comments:     Kayaked around this large pond.  A lot of the area visible
from containment dike, but most of it is only accessible by small boat, or
waders.  Lots of good habitat.  Mostly dead or dying Ash trees. Large Heron
Rookery. Most woodpecker species seen. Also is a PROW, Vireo, flycatcher,
Woodpecker, Marsh and House Wren, nesting site. Wood ducks and other
waterfowl prevalent.
50 species

Canada Goose  30
Trumpeter Swan  2
Wood Duck  30
Mallard  10
Pied-billed Grebe  2
Double-crested Cormorant  2
Great Blue Heron  30     Large Rookery.
Turkey Vulture  6
Bald Eagle  2
Common Gallinule  2
Killdeer  2
Mourning Dove  4
Ruby-throated Hummingbird  1
Belted Kingfisher  1
Red-headed Woodpecker  4
Red-bellied Woodpecker  2
Downy Woodpecker  2
Northern Flicker  2
Pileated Woodpecker  2
Eastern Wood-Pewee  2
Willow Flycatcher  4
Great Crested Flycatcher  2
Eastern Kingbird  6
Yellow-throated Vireo  2
Warbling Vireo  2
American Crow  2
Northern Rough-winged Swallow  2
Tree Swallow  16
Barn Swallow  10
Carolina Chickadee  2
Tufted Titmouse  2
House Wren  4
Marsh Wren  4
Blue-gray Gnatcatcher  2
American Robin  6
Gray Catbird  4
Northern Mockingbird  2
European Starling  6
Cedar Waxwing  2
Prothonotary Warbler  12     3 pair on nest, heard two in woods to the west
competing vocalizations, two seen on island in middle of pond, two others
in other locations along back of pond.  I was not able to get to other
areas of the west woods due to water vegetation blocking the way, or there
would have possibly been more.  This does not include any supposed females
that would have been paired with the males.  Except for the ones seen in
nesting cavities previously mentioned.
Yellow Warbler  4
Chipping Sparrow  2
Field Sparrow  4
Song Sparrow  4
Northern Cardinal  4
Red-winged Blackbird  10
Common Grackle  4
Brown-headed Cowbird  4
Baltimore Oriole  4
American Goldfinch  6

View this checklist online at

Big Island Wildlife Area--Larue-Prospect Rd. north (Unit B), Marion, US-OH
May 31, 2014 4:00 PM - 6:00 PM
Protocol: Traveling
1.0 mile(s)
Comments:     Kayaked all around pond to look for any missed species.
42 species

Canada Goose  30
Trumpeter Swan  2
Wood Duck  20
Mallard  10
Pied-billed Grebe  6     2 Adults 4 juveniles
Double-crested Cormorant  8
Great Blue Heron  20
Turkey Vulture  10
Bald Eagle  2