OHIO-BIRDS Archives

July 2014

From:
Jeffrey Cullen <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Jeffrey Cullen <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 31 Jul 2014 18:55:26 -0700
Becky and I combined for 161 species with two unshared birds, so we each had 160.  We decided early to stay close to home, Wood, Sandusky, Lucas, Ottawa, and Erie Counties, and visited some places three or four times  to dig out a couple of more birds.

We found all 15 warblers possible up here, and got all the likely shorebirds.  Except I missed the Dunlin, and we both missed the Avocets at Pickerel WA Tuesday when we turned left instead of right.  Drat!

Best birds we found: Laughing Gull, Northern Bobwhite, Northern Harrier, & Red Knot (an Ohio bird for me.)

Best birds we saw that were reported online by others: Bell's Vireo, Blue Grosbeak, Brown Creeper, & Louisiana Waterthrush.

Best reptile: a 3-foot long American Alligator.  It was in Wards Canal just down the road from Metzger Marsh.