OHIO-BIRDS Archives

July 2014

From:
Peggy Wang <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Peggy Wang <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 6 Jul 2014 17:56:22 -0400
Nothing unexpected but had some good birding at Clear Crk MP Fri AM then again this AM.

Did not see any KY Warblers this weekend after seeing them regularly the past few wks. Do they depart after fledging their young? Did hear one Chat on Friday. Had fun watching 2 young Worm-eating Warblers today as well as an active family of Ovenbirds, chipping at me loudly & practically following me down the trail. Also watched a male Hooded Warbler gather a bill-full of insects & feed it to a begging youngster. One Blue-winged Warbler. Other warblers: Yellow, Com YT, Cerulean, B&W, Blk-thr Green, La WT, Am Redstart, N Parula.

On Friday, a Red-eyed Vireo chased a Worm-eating Warbler into view while a Carolina Wren watched from a higher perch. 3 birds w/prominent eye-stripes in one binocular view...

Did not see or hear Scarlet Tanagers but had one female Rose-breasted Grosbeak Friday. Lots of Indigo Buntings.

Saw 3 Yellow-billed Cuckoos chasing & calling thru the tree tops near the Valley View picnic area Friday. Also heard at a few places today.

Wood Thrushes singing (& seen) & heard Veery both days. E Bluebirds. Lots of Cedar Waxwings.

Heard a Belted Kingfisher today also.

Saw & heard Red-Shouldered Hawks both days incl a close juvenile on Fri.

Peggy Wang
Lancaster