OHIO-BIRDS Archives

July 2014

From:
Paul Hurtado <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Paul Hurtado <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 2 Jul 2014 12:33:16 -0400
Hi everyone,

I need some extra motivation to go birding... It's hot outside, ticks and
mosquitoes are plentiful, migrants are rare (save a few early shorebirds),
fledglings are out en force taxing my ID skills, and summer vagrants and
dispersing youngsters from the south and the west as hard to find as ever.

But we should still go birding. And we should, of course, keep eBirding all
those local breeders ;-)

So here's my proposal: how about a friendly state-wide birding competition
for July, in the spirit of the January 100?

The January species list for Ohio (according to eBird) stands at 224
species.  The July species list? 269.  If we scaled a goal of 100 species
accordingly, that would bring us up to 120.

So how about it -- July 100 is a respectable goal, and for the really
listers among you, 120 a respectable challenge.  Other than that, the usual
January 100 "rules" apply.

See you in the field,
Paul Hurtado
Columbus, OH