OHIO-BIRDS Archives

July 2014

From:
Steve Jones <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Steve Jones <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 12 Jul 2014 02:24:51 -0400
Greetings!

I finally made it home. :-). I went from 81 to 92 for the month.  I wanted
to go from tip to tip today in search of shorebirds, and missing state
birds.  But I only made it to the bulge.   :-D I tried to make it all the
way to Oak Openings, or at least the Toledo containment ponds...but I hit
the physical and daylight wall at Willow Point. Bird species started off
slow, but slowly increased.  I am thinking that my issue with an Ohio
Avocet is that I am thinking like a human, and not a bird.  And it pretty
much bore out today with the birds I did find.  It seemed the more secluded
or tick infested the spot, the more shorebirds.  I should have started in
Toledo at the containment ponds...a place only birds and birders would go
to, and worked my way along to the east.

I too share Robert's concern with the Conneaut sand spit.  It seems the
port is more concerned with increasing the habitat for beach apes than for
shore birds.  Time will tell I guess.

 Looks like I need to make a trip to Big Island and maybe Lawrence Woods to
finish the  July 100. : -D

Notes and links to the lists are below.  I think I had 63 for the day.  And
I didn't want to create this huge list of lists, so if interested, just
click on the link below to see full list.

Conneaut: Eagles and Bank Swallows as thick as flies on.... :-)
http://ebird.org/ebird/view/checkl
<http://ebird.org/ebird/view/checklist?subID=S19068782>ist?subID=S19068782
<http://ebird.org/ebird/view/checklist?subID=S19068782>

Headlands beach: couple of shorebirds, a sea of gulls, but there were more
colonies of Beach Apes than bird species though.  There were even one that
obviously couldn't read the signs that said no sitting in the dune
restoration area...he had to have a secluded sun bathing area I guess.
 It looked like he wasn't the first though. :-(

Wendy Park:  Went looking all along the downtown waterfront for a
pelican, didn't get one, not much else here.  If a Northern Mockingbird
hadn't popped out at the Volleyball courts, I probably wouldn't have even
made a list.

Pipe Creek: Two Black-crowned Night Herons, and others.  Was disturbing to
have an airboat in the bay just outside the containment dikes.  Nothing
liked it...including my ears.

Willow Point: Shorebird numbers increasing.  Lots of everything normal
tonight.  No rarities though.

Coasting in to Killdeer Plains at dusk, I went to the lake to check for
anything there, and as I was setting up my scope, I had a Barred Owl call
from both sides of the lake...nice!  Nothing else of consequence except
Tree, Bank, and Barn swallows as thick as the afore mentioned flies along
pond 27...mostly Tree.

Time to get a little rest, vacation is finally almost over.

Happy Birding, and God Bless!

Steve J.