OHIO-BIRDS Archives

July 2014

From:
rob thorn <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
rob thorn <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 16 Jul 2014 02:57:02 -0400
I birded several areas of Battelle Darby MetroPark (southwest of Columbus) this morning, looking for late nesters & early strays.  Water levels were high in wetlands due to the overnight rains, so I had little access to the Teal Trail.  I stopped at Trail of Ancients, Cedar Ridge, Indian Ridge prairie, and the Nature Center area, and had several interesting landbirds, including:

Cuckoos - singing Yellow-billed were along the bottom part of Trail of Ancients (a reliable spot for them), while a singing Black-billed was along the northern edge of the Indian Ridge prairie.  There is no reliable spot for the latter species, so this spot might bear some scrutiny this month.

Flycatchers - nothing unusual, but there were E.Kingbirds at several locations as they start to gather for migration.  Calling Willow Flycatchers were still along Trail of Ancients and at Indian Ridge prairie.

Vireos - Red-eyeds were still singing at many forest areas.  The only White-eyed was at the upper end of Trail of Ancients.  A singing Yellow-throated was along the forest edge west of the Nature Center.

Swallows - small groups of adult & juvenile Barn, Tree, and Rough-winged Swallows at many locations.  Purple Martins were still foraging around Trail of Ancients (there's a martin house nearby)

Gnatcatchers - common & widespread, often adults feeding juveniles.

Warblers - scarce except for ComYellowthroats.  I had a singing male Black&White along the Trail of Ancients, an unusual spot for a summering bird (but they have become more common along Columbus riparian areas of the last 2 summers).

Tanagers - a singing Summer Tanager remains around the Cedar Ridge area, while singing Scarlets were at Trail of Ancients and the Nature Center area

Blue Grosbeak - a male was singing along the forest edge just west of the Nature Center parking lot, so anybody visiting the Center might want to keep an eye out for any nesting activity here.

Orioles - Orchard adults with fledglings were at Trail of Ancients and the Nature Center area.  The only Baltimore was a calling bird along the creek west of the Nature Center.