OHIO-BIRDS Archives

July 2014

From:
Cole DiFabio <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Cole DiFabio <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 20 Jul 2014 18:41:19 -0400
Tom Frankel, Jim McConnor and I birded west OH today, which included
Lorain, Erie, and Ottawa. Our target birds for the day were Lark Sparrows,
Dickcissel, and American White Pelican.

Our first stop was at Black River Reservation to look for Lark Sparrows,
which were reported here on the 14th. We walked part of the Bridgeway
Trail, but we were unsuccessful on our first target bird. However, we had a
nice Yellow-billed Cuckoo seen and heard. That list can be seen here:

From Black River, we headed up to the Lorain Impoundment and found a good
variety of birds. Highlights here were Redhead, Ring-necked Duck, Hooded
Merganser, juvenile American Coots, 2 Willets, 1 Least Sandpiper, 6
Semipalmated Sandpipers, and 8 Short-billed Dowitchers, plus many singing
Marsh Wrens. That list is here:

Our third stop was at the Erie County Landfill, searching for Dickcissel.
We were able to find two, which were found about a half of a mile south of
the main landfill entrance, which is on Hoover Road. List with a picture of
a male can be seen here:

The last stop of the day was East Harbor State Park, in search of the
long-staying American White Pelicans. We did not seen any pelicans however.
Shorebirds made up for that though. Our counts/estimates of the shorebirds
seen were:
1 Semipalmated Plover     60 Killdeer     5 Spotted Sandpiper     10
Greater Yellowlegs
2 Willets    50 Lesser Yellowlegs    10 Stilt Sandpipers     12 Least
Sandpipers
4 Pectoral Sandpipers     10 Semipalmated Sandpipers  and 25 Short-billed
Dowitchers.
Complete list here: http://ebird.org/ebird/view/checklist?subID=S19163231

The three of us ended with 91 species for the day.

Good Birding,

--
Cole DiFabio