OHIO-BIRDS Archives

July 2014

From:
robert lane <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
robert lane <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 23 Jul 2014 19:20:34 -0400
Congratulations to Conneaut birder Chris Swan for his exciting Life Piping Plover find this morning, Wednesday, at about 9AM, at "The Conneaut Sandspit" in Ashtabula County. Birding glory at it's best. Kudos also for getting the word out immediately. The male Piping Plover was in perfect breeding plumage, including a complete dark narrow breast band. It was carrying a lot of hardware, five leg bands. On the right leg were top to bottom; orange flag, black band, and blue band. On the left leg were a metal band at the top, and a blue band on the bottom. Upon my wife Denise and my arrival at 9:40AM, Chris had the plover staked out for us on the west end of the sandspit. By 10:15AM, us three were the only birders present. Another memorable Conneaut craziness was about to take place. The entire Conneaut High School Football team showed up on the sandspit in about twenty cars, doing synchronized donuts in the sand before parking, and then having a practice, which included the coaches. Adding to this, one of the Port Authority tractors equipped with a drag rake, was determined to wear out the sandspit, literally hitting every surface out of the water, over and over again. The Piping Plover apparently had enough of the disturbance, relocating to the public beach to the west at about 10:30AM, and still being at this location when we departed at 4:15PM. By noon the parasail boarders had arrived at the sandspit, making it an area of no return. A total of nine plover pursuers had great views of the visiting celebrity. For six of the nine this was a life bird. Some of the other highlights today were 9 Sanderlings and one breeding plumaged Ruddy Turnstone. The Bald Eagle numbers seem to be diminishing, with only eight being seen. The Bank Swallows are nearly all gone. Only in Conneaut can you have entertainment like this. Bird surprises and frustrating people watching. All part of the adventure here.

Bob Lane / Mahoning County