OHIO-BIRDS Archives

July 2014

From:
Bob Powell <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Bob Powell <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 24 Jul 2014 16:37:37 -0400
Larry Gara and I had a quick look at Cowan Lake and Caesar Creek beach this
morning (Thurs, 24 Jul).  The shorebird migration is on.  The east end of
Cowan held some shorebirds, mainly Killdeer and several Least Sandpipers
visible from the east end boat ramp.  A scope is necessary.  Might be a
little better from the Lotus Cove overlook.

There were also two Great Egrets and two Great Blue Herons.

The spillway is in very good condition.  We had six Spotted Sandpipers,
 three Leasts, a Semipalmated Sandpiper and about 40 Killdeer, as well as a
cloud of Northern Rough-winged Swallows.

We dropped in at the Caesar Creek beach for a quick look (15 minutes).
 Among the hundred or so Ring-billed Gulls was a Laughing Gull.  Big bill,
big eye crescents, as large as the ring-bills, hefty build.  See eBird
report for more detail.

Larry went back out to the beach after lunch, but the gulls were gone.
 Humans were using that end of the beach.

Cheers,

Bob

--
Robert D Powell