OHIO-BIRDS Archives

August 2014

From:
Roger Troutman <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Roger Troutman <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 1 Aug 2014 14:02:03 -0400
The AOU's annual supplement (the 55th) was published on July 30th.  See
http://aoucospubs.org/doi/pdf/10.1642/AUK-14-124.1 to study the whole
thing, especially if you are interested in non-Ohio species..

In short, no changes were made (lumps, splits, resequencing) in regard to
our Ohio taxa, so our Ohio checklist is safe for another year - at least
from a taxonomic or nomenclatorial standpoint.  This (lack of change)
doesn't happen very often as the "norm" is to at least rearrange the
supposed phylogeny or have at least split or lump somewhere.

The closest thing to change was the raising of a Mexican subspecies of the
King Rail to a full species.  The King Rail taxa thus lost a subspecies,
but gained the Aztec Rail.

Ditto, an endemic subspecies (again Mexican) of our Dark-eyed Junco was
also elevated to a full species. The Guadalupe Junco is thus no longer a
Dark-eyed Junco.

It was however mentioned in the Notes for the Dark-eyed Junco*
"Hyemalis *groups"
that various taxa may merit recognition with further study. Thus there is a
possibility that our various junco subspecies may again (they once were)
become full species.

Lastly, the "doves" sequence of species was changed slightly, but this did
not impact our strictly Ohio "dove" order.

Enjoy!

Roger Troutman
Mansfield