OHIO-BIRDS Archives

August 2014

From:
Matt Valencic <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Matt Valencic <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 21 Aug 2014 23:17:26 -0400
It's been a while since I got a Life Bird in Geauga County, but thanks to
Inga Schmidt and Dick Hoopes that happened today.  See my new baby at
https://www.flickr.com/photos/85567104@N05/.  The thing I noticed on these
pictures was the black bill all the way to the base.  Sibley says that
White-rumped Sandpipers are quite similar but "all ages have small reddish
area on the base of the lower mandible".  Also visible are the wing tips
extending beyond the tail.

If you go looking for it (north side of the boat launch in the vegetation
near the water) be aware that it is very skittish.  We could see it from the
boat launch by standing near the water line and looking north (left).   Be
still and scan the area carefully.  It stood 'stock still' for a period even
though we were standing still.  It's a slow mover compared to most peeps.
Binoculars were satisfactory but a scope is always a plus.

Matt Valencic

S. Russell - Geauga County