OHIO-BIRDS Archives

August 2014

From:
Steve Petruniak <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Steve Petruniak <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 22 Aug 2014 02:57:09 -0400
Hello Fellow Birders,

I am just new to your site and have been very interested in all of your recent posts on your Swallow-Tailed Kites there in Ohio that have been spotted in various locations in your area. It is really amazing to see that you are actually seeing any Swallow-Tailed Kites there at all as Ohio is way out of their normal range of travel and even more amazing this late in the season! We still have some of our Swallow-Tailed Kites here in Florida and it has been an absolutely incredible season and year here to see our precious Swallow-Tailed Kites and I just thought that I would like to share this last weekends encounters that I had with some of them here and would like to recommend to anyone there in Ohio that if you are coming to Florida sometime soon and would like to experience some of our Magnificent Swallow-Tailed Kites here before they all leave for their wintering ranges in Brazil, Please do come soon because it would be most definitely well worth the trip !

Good Birding,

Steve Petruniak

Daytona Beach,Florida

Volusia County, 32114

Just a Short Report:

 This is now the 5 TH consecutive weekend that I have come here to see this
 Awesome Swallow-Tailed Kite Spectacular Event, and it still has not disappointed
 in the least ! First on Saturday at CR448A- Lake County at the entrance to Lake
 Apopka, at the parking lot I spotted a bit later in the day-afternoon flying low
 and foraging very fast about a dozen or more Swallow-Tailed Kites moving very
 fast from the entrance on back foraging back and forth far in the distance never
 coming very close and after about 15 - to 20 minutes they disbursed and quickly
 exited and left the area completely ! Most amazingly earlier coming down Jones
 RD I saw 4 to 5 Roseate Spoonbills that were down in the canal foraging and
 later went up into the farm fields and went into them walking thru picking on the
 ground and walked on out of sight ! Later at the bridge over the canal back in
 the trail groups of Swallows were swooping all around back and forth over the
 bridge. Lots of Towhees were seen and heard & Several Sandhill Cranes were
 seen foraging out in the farm fields as well.

 On Sunday I started by going over to the The 2nd melon field which has now
 been mostly plowed and was full of cattle egrets well over 1000 were reported
 by the owner and the field was still being plowed when I was there just past
 SMITH's FARRIER driveway on 223. Despite the the heat of the day which had
 already started early the Swallow-Tailed Kites arrived just like clockwork around
 9:40 AM and started their morning routine of flying into the the now plowed
 fields which didn't seem to affect their foraging at all in the least and flying both
 high and low occasionally coming right down to the ground to catch some more
 of the stink bugs ! There were probably anywhere between 1 to 2 dozen
 Swallow-Tailed Kites , way less than originally were seen on previous weekends
 but nevertheless impressive ! Later on there were 2 Mississippi Kites that came
 into view and the came flying quite close to my position swooping back and forth
 a few times and flew very close even right over head ! The Swallow-Tailed Kites
 continued to fly all around until about noon time and then completely left the
 area ! Just another breathtakingly Spectacular Swallow-Tailed Kite Show !

 Later at Field # 3 At BLACK GOLD COMPOST CO. there were no Swallow-Tailed
 Kites but looking far out into the distance in the direction of the Field # 1 way
 up in the sky with binoculars I could see several Swallow-Tailed Kites flying and
 riding the thermals and foraging as well ! Several Kestrels and some Red-
 Headed Woodpeckers were spotted along the way. Now at Field # 4 at County
 Road 233, after waiting a while at the dead end in the road several Swallow-
 Tailed Kites appeared in the sky and were mainly flying at higher altitudes there
 were probably 1 to 2 dozen there foraging but only a couple of Swallow-Tailed
 Kites actually came down low and foraged at ground level for a while which is a
 rare sight now because most of the Swallow-Tailed Kites have left Florida to go
 to their wintering fields in Brazil !

 Going over to Field # 1 1ocated on route 466, no Swallow-Tailed Kites were
 visible there anywhere at all ! So I went back to Field # 4 one last time and
 watch several more Swallow-Tailed Kites now flying up very high and fast
 working the skies and leaving the area ! It is really quite amazing that there still
 are some Swallow-Tailed Kites left this late in the season here so I would highly
 recommend to any one who hasn't experienced this arial spectacular yet to
 come and see and marvel at these arial acrobats the very Graceful- ever-flying
 Swallow-Tailed Kites in the very short time left !

 The Swallow-Tailed Kite Melon fields are located on route 466. You can get there
 by going on the turnpike to the Wildwood exit, to route 301. Go north to route
 466, turn left and go about 2 1/2 miles down 466. The site is on route 466, 2.5
 miles west of 301.

 The 2nd melon field that I reported recently: from
 301/466 - drive .9 miles to cr209. Turn left, or south on 209 for 1.7 miles.
 Turn left, or east, on cr223 (there is NO sign at this intersection), you will see
 the birds from 209 to your left. The field is just past SMITH's FARRIER
 driveway on 223

 The 3rd melon field in Sumter County which also had dozens of
 STKIs.
 This field is on CR 237. Drive 3.7 miles WEST of 466/301(Oxford), turn left,
 south,
 on CR 237. You will see BLACK GOLD COMPOST CO.

 Field # 4 is located within a half a mile or so of the Original Melon Fields . The
 Original site is on route 466, 2.5 miles west of 301. So Continue on to County
 Road 233. Go right then You can go down this road which dead ends- the grass
 field is on the left.

 Please Enjoy these Graceful Flying- Swallow-Tailed Kites in the very short time
 left now while they are still here !

 Steve Petruniak

 Daytona Beach, Florida

 Volusia County, 32114