OHIO-BIRDS Archives

August 2014

From:
Nancy Anderson <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Nancy Anderson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 24 Aug 2014 16:27:48 -0700
I have been to Villa Angela/Wildwood Parks (now part of Euclid Creek Reservation three of the last four days.  Thurs in the evening, Saturday from 11:30am to 2:15pm and today from 12:30 to 4:55pm.  Granted getting there late the birds are probably sleeping by the time I get there.  Thursday I was seeing flycatchers near maintenance area near picnic area and Saturday I was seeing couple flycatchers in the field near library, Black-crowned Night-Herons and the two Wood Ducks in Euclid Creek and no black birds Saturday.  Today seemed like more of the same.  I saw one Common Grackle (only black bird seen).  I decided to check out one area before I gave up that always has good birds in Villa Angela west of the grassy knoll near the path going into to woods. It is very secluded and thickety.  I started seeing warblers and they stayed in this area for over two hours.  I walked around other locations in VA and they were only in this area.
 Eventually they started moving further north.  I was staying so long because I was trying to get pictures but my camera cannot focus fast enough in low light as I was in deep cover and poison ivy.  Here is what I saw today:

Mourning Warbler - 1 this bird was low in thickets had olive green back and tail, gray head and yellow breast with split eye-ring.  Did not see gray on throat must be young bird.  I saw it many times.  It would make the chit call so many times I was able to follow it.

Canada Warbler  1 or 2, seen multiple times, south of path going into woods and later north of path as you walk into woods and walk north off path.  It had a bug in its mouth with the necklace visible in leafy canopy and my camera would not focus.

Yellow Warbler 1 or 2, have not been seeing these lately.

Magnolia Warbler  2 - seen multiple times in different places (first warbler seen today)

Black-and-White Warbler 1 seen south of path into woods stayed in same area

Ovenbird 1 - saw heavily spotted chest and orange mark on top of head.  Could only get tail shot and blurry view.  It was south of grassy knoll (east end of the overgrown area just east of log in path)

Brown Thrasher 1 (south of path into woods)

Eastern Wood Pewee 1

Nancy Anderson
Richmond Hts
https://www.flickr.com/photos/nancy_a/