OHIO-BIRDS Archives

August 2014

From:
Ken Andrews <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Ken Andrews <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 5 Aug 2014 14:04:10 -0400
Because of some recent posts here about a viewing platform at Frohring
Meadows, I sent an email to the Geauga County Parks.
No definite plans are in place yet for a platform. I was also told about he
meettings and told that all suggestions are welcome for the parks.
I was sent a link to the Meeting Schedule. It says "All are welcome". It has
locations and dates/times.

http://www.geaugaparkdistrict.org/whats-new.shtml#townhalls

Through recent experiences with my local metroparks I have found that the
main focus of most county metropark systems is recreation for people. That
may include birding. But, conservation is usually something that takes place
just because the parks are there. Little land or no land is set aside
exclusively for wildlife. Just look on a map and find places like the
Audubon Sanctuaries. They are for wildlife. They limit recreational use.
But, the county metroparks are for people to enjoy in various ways. Wildlife
may benefit. There may be educational programs about wildlife. But, land use
is mostly for people. Decades ago when people went to the local parks to
enjoy them, they usually went for a picnic or a hike. Now, there are so many
other activities like geocaching, mountain biking, trail running, etc. These
newer activities may have a heavier impact on the limited land.

I am not being critical of the local metroparks. We are VERY lucky to have
them. But, things aren't what they used to be.