OHIO-BIRDS Archives

August 2014

From:
bob hinkle <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
bob hinkle <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 5 Aug 2014 15:18:40 -0400
Not to put too fine a point on it, but look up the enabling legislation
that created metropolitan park districts in Ohio in 1917, and you will
discover that conservation is a primary reason for being, with
recreation second....  there's a great old saying about this....
"...once you let the camel's nose under the tent, you will soon have the
whole camel..." I've seen the mountain bike folks go from "..oh please,
just a little 18 inch bike path and we'll monitor it and it won't
disturb anything" to "mountain bike races through the pristine forests"
and a four-foot mudhole trail with multiple  jumps in less than two
years.....  is THIS what you want for neotropical migrants??

Bob Hinkle
(forbidden now to say that I was Chief Naturalist of a certain large
regional park district for 30 years, but you know which one that was)