OHIO-BIRDS Archives

August 2014

From:
robert lane <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
robert lane <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 6 Aug 2014 10:29:08 -0400
We arrived at the Ashtabula County site at 8AM. The skies are presently clear, with a pleasant, mild temperature. The Port Authority tractor with the rake attachment, was already out sterilizing the sandspit, disturbing the morning tranquility, and also the birds. 23 Bald Eagles could be seen, 2 adults and 21 juveniles. Shorebirds being seen are 1 Baird's Sandpiper, 1 American Golden-Plover, 1 Short-billed Dowitcher, 1 Ruddy Turnstone, 3 Spotted Sandpipers, 6 Semipalmated Plovers, 12+ Least Sandpipers, 4 Killdeer, and 1 Lesser Yellowlegs. A lone Caspian Tern was squawking by. Numerous Double-crested Cormorants were on the move. Bank Swallows and Barn Swallows are active on the sandspit. A single juvenile Common Merganser was frantically, scurrying along the surface of the water, apparently looking for the rest of the family. It is about 10:25AM and we are about to leave. The only other visitors have been 6 photographers.

Bob and Denise Lane / Mahoning County