OHIO-BIRDS Archives

August 2014

From:
Casey Tucker <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Casey Tucker <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 7 Aug 2014 16:31:24 -0400
Friends;
I'm happy to announce that on-line registration for the 2014 Ohio Avian Research Conference will become available at 7:00 a.m. tomorrow, Friday, August 8th.
You can access the registration site by either going to the main conference site (http://tuckercasey.wix.com/aacri-birds#!oarc2014/cd8o) and clicking on 'Registration,' or you can go directly to the registration site (http://tinyurl.com/mqgbqv6).
Our sponsors this year are The American Ornithologist's Union (AOU), U.S. Fish & Wildlife Service, The Nature Conservancy, Columbus Audubon, East Central Ohio Audubon Society, Kaufman Field Guides, and is once again hosted by Denison University's Biology Department in Granville, Ohio.  This year's conference will be used as a model for future state or regional AOU conferences across North America.
Thanks to the generous support of our conference sponsors we have been able to make this a very affordable conference, especially for student participants.  When you register you will find both adult ($25.00) and student ($15.00) boxed lunch options.  We have also been able to offer a no lunch option this year as well, for those who may wish to bring their own lunch.
Building upon last year's presentation by one of Ohio's young birders, we are working this year with the Ohio Young Birder's Club to highlight more first-hand ornithological research by high school students as well.  This includes a specially designated oral presentation, and hopefully more poster presentations as well.
Our keynote presenter this year is Dr. Bernadette Plair, a retired research scientist with the Cincinnati Zoo's Center for the Reproduction of Endangered Wildlife (CREW).  Her talk will focus on her work restoring extirpated Blue- &-Gold Macaws to her native country of Trinidad.  I think this conservation success story is an important counterpoint to this year's centennial commemoration of the extinction of the Passenger Pigeon.
The deadline to register is Friday, October 10th at midnight.  After that, late registration will be available ($25.00/student, $35.00/adult) with no lunch option.
I look forward to seeing you in October in Granville.  In the meantime, I'll be happy to answer any questions you may have.
Thanks,
Casey TuckerMaster's StudentMiami UniversityDept. of BiologyProject DragonflyPO Box 241Utica, OH 43080614-403-5263 (cell)[log in to unmask]@MiamiOH.eduhttp://tuckercasey.wix.com/aacri-birds