OHIO-BIRDS Archives

August 2014

From:
Bill Whan <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Bill Whan <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 12 Aug 2014 09:21:14 -0400
It's sad and a little strange that we communicate so little with our
birding neighbors/neighbours to the north in Canada. It's as if "our"
shorebirds suddenly appear up near the Lake in fall, and for Canadians
it's as if "theirs" disappear about the same time. Birders in Ontario
make a lot of far more important shorebird observations every year, to
which we pay too little attention; check out a handy overall look at
shorebirds in the area at this time of year at:
http://www.ofo.ca/site/pageview/articles.southboundshorebirds

To a shorebird Lake Erie is only a short hop. One eye-opening result
that emerged from research in Ontario's James Bay was the tagged
semipalmated sandpiper that spent a whole month last year fattening up
in the Bay, then flew NON-STOP for SIX DAYS to Brazil, rivaling those
little lumps of fat the blackpoll warblers who'll be moving soon...
Bill Whan
Columbus