OHIO-BIRDS Archives

August 2014

From:
rob thorn <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
rob thorn <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 12 Aug 2014 14:30:00 -0400
I birded areas around these two dams north of Columbus this morning, dodging rain showers but finding little in the way of migrants.  Water levels at both places were very high, so shorebirds weren't much of a factor.  At Alum Creek lake, I stopped by the Visitor's Center area and the beach, as well as the New Galena boat launch area.  At Hoover, I birded the dam, the area below it, and nearby Inniswood Park.  Notables included

Cormorants - how quickly they become ho-hum.  Alum Creek Lake had 4-5, while lower Hoover had at least 20
Herons - little other than Great Blues, and not many of them: 3 at Alum, 4 at Hoover
Osprey - singles were at the Alum Creek Lake beach, New Galena, and below Hoover dam
Shorebirds - the Alum Creek Lake beach had 20 Kildeer, a Spotted and a Solitary Sandpiper early
Caspian Terns - one was with gulls at Alum Creek Lake beach, while 2 more flew south over Hoover dam
Gulls - Ring-bill numbers are growing, with 120 at the Alum Creek Lake beach and 60 above Hoover dam.  5 Herring were at Alum, while 2 were at Hoover

Hummingbirds - not much movement yet, with 1 at Alum and 2 at Inniswood
Flycatchers - Pewees were common at most stops.  A single Willow was still near the ACL Visitor's Center, while an Acadian was calling at Inniswood
Swallows - not much except for 10 remnant Cliffs at Hoover Dam, along with 2-3 Barn Swallows
Vireos - Red-eyed were at many locations.  2 White-eyed were singing along the trails at New Galena
Gnatcatchers - some movement, with small groups at most stops, topped by 4-5 at New Galena
Thrushes - nothing but Robins, plus a few E.Bluebirds
Warblers - nothing other than a few Yellows, one at New Galena, the other flying south over Hoover dam
Orioles - 4-5 Baltimores, all females or juveniles , were at New Galena, a typical concentration point for them.