OHIO-BIRDS Archives

August 2014

From:
marys1000 <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
marys1000 <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 16 Aug 2014 07:39:24 -0400
I am curious about the habitat in the area where you saw this.  I have
only seen a SWK once, outside Kalamazoo MI.
We parked and watched from the apple orchard area of a farm.  The SWK
seemed to spend most of
its time working out aways up and down a long line of of very  tall
trees.  Unfortunately I
do not know what type they were.  I think heir general shape was the
large main branches going up fairly
straight and close to the trunk (this was a long time ago) and they
really were quite tall with big leafy canopies.
The bird was plucking some  sort of large insect from the tops of the
tree canopy
and when it was close enough you could see that he would eat them on the
fly by putting
his foot up toward its mouth.
What was this bird doing and what was the habitat in the area?

Marie, Fairborn OH