OHIO-BIRDS Archives

August 2014

From:
Bob Powell <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Bob Powell <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 16 Aug 2014 08:51:05 -0400
Larry Gara and I checked out the area of the Swallow-tailed Kite sighting
posted to eBird by Justin Valentine and relayed to the list by Steve
Landes.  The bird was seen  yesterday near the intersection of New Vienna
Road and Connell Road in Highland county.  The report was accompanied by a
photo that clearly depicted a Swallow-tailed Kite.

We birded the entire length of New Vienna Road and back, plus several miles
of Connell Road with no luck.

Both Larry and I have seen STKI before.  Larry saw the 1997 Lawrenceburg
bird that hung around the TriState for a while.  I have seen STKI in the
Everglades and the Lower Pascagoula River in Mississippi.  None of these
habitats match the open farmland of the reported location.  I would be very
surprised if the bird were seen again in this area.

Cheers,

Bob

--
Robert D Powell