OHIO-BIRDS Archives

August 2014

Date:
Sat, 16 Aug 2014 19:03:35 -0400
An update on the swallow-tailed kite. The bird went missing for over an hour between 2:45 and 4:15. During this time it was probably perched somewhere in the area. I refound the bird at about 4:15 foraging in the soybean fields west of jones road, which is just southeast of where it was seen before. A group of us then watched it sit in a dead tree in the large forest patch to the southwest of the intersection of Jones and New Vienna roads and eat a large insect until about 5 pm when it flew off to the Northeast out of sight behind more trees. So I would highly recommend checking the fields and trees along Connell, new Vienna, and jones roads if you go looking for this bird (which is Beautiful!). Again this area is southeast of new Vienna and north of Hillsboro on Highland county. There is a map attached to my ebird checklist below. A big thanks to Justin Valentine who originally found and reported this bird and helped many people refind it today!
Good birding,
Steve Landes