OHIO-BIRDS Archives

August 2014

From:
Robert Stalnaker <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Robert Stalnaker <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 17 Aug 2014 08:56:25 -0700

Hello Bill and All,

The Common Green Darner is one of the larger dragonflies and it is one of the small number that do migrate.  Swallow-tailed Kites (STKI) feeding on these in mid-August here in Florida get more energy absorbed per the same energy expended versus the smaller dragonflies, and it is a popular food item of STKI immediately before the STKI migrate.

Here in central FL, there is a dramatic uptick in Common Green Darners migrating in, augmenting existing ones, in mid-August and that coincides with the last large feeding aggregations of STKI before they migrate.  We are talking only about a 10 day window here.  This is what I have observed and I am hoping there is a statistical based study done in the future to show a positive correlation of these two events.   I believe there is a study out there that was done with American Kestrels and dragonflies re migration.

It is possible STKI could move north as you say then come south again as the Common Green Darners continue to move south.  After watching STKI feed, they are so skilled in catching even small insects that I personally don't think they need to migrate north in search of prey.  They seem to be able to get all the food they want.

Re your, "Dragonflies, and their predators, continue to diminish." ......  Yes, so sad and true.  Prey continues to shrink as pesticides grow in use as human population grows, and that will likely have yet another negative effect not only on the prey numbers but on the STKI as well as a huge number of insects and birds that are already in a downward trend.

Bob Stalnaker
Longwood, FL