OHIO-BIRDS Archives

August 2014

From:
Robert Stalnaker <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Robert Stalnaker <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 17 Aug 2014 12:37:48 -0700

Re Swallow-tailed Kite diet:

Paul, that's a good point you made since it is out of range and its normal prey.  The fact it perched and ate a prey item isn't the norm--an indication of a different than norm prey--since it normally eats on the fly.  Noting what prey it eats could offer some good science for future researchers.  This is an understudied bird and birders' notes of a kite out of range could be useful for researchers.

"At 13 Florida nests, 52–85% of prey items consisted of insects, frogs, and nestling birds (Sutton 1955, Snyder 1974, Meyer and Collopy 1990, M. Wright, R. Green, and N. Reed unpubl. data)."

"Except for 1 reference to fruit-eating in winter (Lemke 1979), the only nonbreeding season data are for stomach contents of 8 Florida kites collected in mid-Jul, during premigration phase (Lee and Clark 1993). Of 345 prey items, 340 (98.6%) were insects, and 90% of these were 20–30 mm in length. Of the insects, 42.4% were grasshoppers (Acrididae), 19.2% leaf-footed bugs (Coreidae), and 12.7% palmetto weevils (Rhynchophorus cruenlatus). The remainder were fire ants (Solenopsis invicta, an exotic), horntails (Eriotrenex formosanus), and various hemipterans. Many were flightless species or life stages and must have been captured directly from foliage."

Bob Stalnaker
Longwood, FL

Meyer, Kenneth D. 1995. Swallow-tailed Kite (Elanoides forficatus), The Birds of North America Online (A. Poole, Ed.). Ithaca: Cornell Lab
of Ornithology; Retrieved from the Birds of North America Online: http://bna.birds.cornell.edu/bna/species/138
doi:10.2173/bna.138