OHIO-BIRDS Archives

September 2014

From:
John Herman <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
John Herman <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 14 Sep 2014 09:41:49 -0400
one juvenile Laughing Gull at Pleasant Hill Lake (Richland Co.) beach @
7:40 a.m. today.

Not a Wheatear, but a decent bird for Richland Co. We don't have lake erie,
but we also don't have as much crime.
gull seen with a 82mm Nikon Fieldscope w/ 30x w. a. eyepiece from ~ 100
meters
looked very similar to the Clear Fork Reservoir gull of yesterday
If you see the Pleasant Hill Lake Park security, tell them I said Hi. They
came around me today, checking to see if I was shooting gulls or some other
devious act. I told security, it's a spotting 'scope, don't get many
bullets out of it. I've got that answer memorized since I've told it to
more than one ODOW "Einstein". I guess its their job to be paranoid.
Today, with the nice weather, probably isn't best for looking for this
Laughing gull, with all the campers, dog walkers, etc. That's why I was
there before sunrise. Week days early and in the late afternoon are much
better for looking thru the gulls at the beach for a local rarity.
Cheers,
John Herman