OHIO-BIRDS Archives

September 2014

From:
Cynthia Carsey <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Cynthia Carsey <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 18 Sep 2014 20:09:35 -0400
Stopped on my way home so all I had with me were spectator binoculars,
not bad but not the best.  Beautiful day and good birding, just needed
my better bins.

Pond on corner of Rt 4 and Taway I walked way back along the corn
field---nothing but Canada geese and Killdeer

Pond fronting Taway as you drive towards Mooney--Geese again
4 Great Egrets (Black legs yellow bills)
30 Cormorants
4-6 Grebes
2-I believe Ring-billed Gulls
more Killdeer
Parked and got out of car stayed behind it but that was still enough to
spook some of them. Advice is to stay in car at this pond because it is
closer to the road.

Smaller pond around the corner on Mooney I parked on little blacktopped
area and walked in, sat on large rocks there to observe.
The 4 spooked Egrets moved to this pond
1-Great Blue Heron
Canada geese
20+ Cormorants
Grebes my bins weren't good enough to definitely id but some of them had
reddish chests and front of necks, others were more buffy in color.
Diving ducks that all looked to be female or young males and none
presented their colors close enough for me to accurately id.
1 goose that had a white head into a mottled neck and dark body, I
thought maybe a cross between a Canadian and a domestic but the top of
it's head and face were covered with this red growth like a Turkey's
wattle.  It was in the reeds right down in front of me so got a good look.

I also think judging from shape of head, bill etc and length of neck
that there were some loons at both of these ponds.

Blessings,
Cindy Carsey