OHIO-BIRDS Archives

September 2014

From:
Charles Bombaci <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Charles Bombaci <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 12 Sep 2014 11:40:36 -0700
A loop of the Spring Creek Trail at Sharon Woods Metro Park this morning produced several nice flourishes of warbler activity. Linda and I tallied 13 species and if the light had been better we might have had one or two more. Mixed in with the scruffy feathered adults were juveniles and an assortment of what the field guides so nicely label as "confusing fall warblers". This is when a field guide earns its keep. After decades of observing them, the not confused fall warblers, by the often confused fall birders, I still appreciate having a field guide close at hand. The warblers we did identify included: Tennessee, Nashville, Magnolia, Cape May, Black-throated Green, Blackburnian, Pine, Bay-breasted, Blackpoll, Black and White, American Restart, Common Yellowthroat and Canada. The American Restarts were the most common with numbers equaling all the others combined. Redstarts were everywhere.

There were multiple Red-eyed and Warbling Vireos and a lone Olive-sided Vireo. Cedar Waxwings were a dime a dozen as there were multiple large flocks working the trees. A single juvenile Double-crested Cormorant was feeding at Shrock Lake. A Cooper's Hawk was feeding on an unlucky Cardinal. Including the usual common species we observed 52 species along the trail.

Charlie Bombaci