OHIO-BIRDS Archives

September 2014

From:
David Tan <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
David Tan <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 2 Sep 2014 15:52:32 -0400
Hello all,

Darby Dan sod farm on Darby Creek Rd. provided some nice
shorebirding--we were there for several hours early, very windy, slate
gray skies, very fall like!   Killdeer were abundant, strewn
throughout.  Many Horned Lark ('prairie' -- central OH often abuntant
breeding race).  MEGA - RED KNOT -- a well seen cooperative bird (a
juv.), it lingered most of the time near a large shallow rain pool
near a patch of short grass, about 100 ft. away (digiscoping meet with
poor results).

Black bellied Plover  6 ad.
American Golden plover  19, incl. several breeding plumage ad.
Killdeer  422
Semipalmated Plover  22
Solitary Sandpiper  8
Lesser Yelllowlegs 11
Upland Sandpiper  1
Red Knot
Sanderling  3
Least Sandpiper  26
White rumped Sandpiper  1 ad
Baird's Sandpiper  4 juv., 1 ad.
Pectoral Sandpiper  20
Stilt Sandpiper  5
Buff breasted Sandpiper  11 incl. 2 ad.
Long billed Dowitcher  1, molting ad.
Wilson's Snipe  2
Wilson's Phalorope  1

Darby Creek MP (39.90346 -83.20914), 3 miles south off Broad off Big
Darby Creek Rd.  From ranger station, we hiked several trails incl.
overlook without seeing a warbler, before finding a few, then many
along Hawthorn, a paved path, that loops through a variety of habitat,
open mixed pine/decidous woodlands,second growth decidous
thickets/broad leaf tree lines and grass/shrub edge and mature
deciduous forest margins.  At least 100 flycatchers, mostly empidonax
that wouldn't be identified (because of wind), and nearly 200 warblers
were present, nearly a third left unidentified becuase of wind.

Olive sided Flycatcher  2
Eastern Wood pewee  41
Yellow-bellied Flycatcher  11
YB/Least  5
Alder Flycatcher 13 (calls)  at least twice I was checking searching
for a calling Hairy Woodpecker only to find a calling ALFL
Least Flycatcher  10
empid. sp.22+

White eyed Vireo  12
Yellow throated Vireo 3
Warbling  12 incl. at least 4 juv. that were stongly washed yellow
over entire underparts, especially across the breast

Blue Gray Gnatcatcher -- 33

Veery  10
Swainson's Thrush  15

Northern Waterthrush  9
Blue winged Warbler  1
Tennessee Warbler  21
Nashville Warbler  10
Northern Parula  4
Chestnut sided Warbler  2
Magnolia Warbler  12
Cape May Warbler  17
Black throated Blue Warbler 1
Blackburnian Warbler  10
Cerulian Warbler  3
Yellow throated Warbler  4
Prairie Warbler  1 ad. m.
Bay breasted Warbler  18
Blackpoll  1, early
Black and white Warbler  3
American Redstart  8
Mourning Warbler  1, imm. m.
Yellowthroat  5
Hooded Warbler  2
Wilson's Warbler  5
Canada Warbler  2

Nice to be able to get out during the week, hope some of you did
too.....Good birding,

David Tan
Columbus

--