OHIO-BIRDS Archives

September 2014

From:
Steve Jones <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Steve Jones <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 14 Sep 2014 21:52:38 -0400
Greetings!

Tomorrow I head to the lake to see if I can get some Lifers...It will
probably end up being a day off and not much else...but we shall see.  If
anyone gets over to Loraine early, could you please let me know if the
Wimbrel and Phalarope are still there...I should be there around 9 or
so...Might try for the Wheatear but that will not be a lifer to me, so it
will be secondary.

As far as Big Island goes, other than the Avocets mentioned earlier at the
first pond of Unit B.  There was plenty to see and try to ID today. :-)

In the first pond of Unit B, Stilt Sandpipers, Lesser and Greater
Yellowlegs, were all around the pond...but mostly the back left(Northwest)
corner.
Lots of Killdeer, and  a few Semipalmated Plovers.
 Least and Semipalmated Sandpiper made up most of the peeps with a couple
of White-rumped Sandpipers mixed in.  The Middle Pond held a few Teal,
Mallards, Coots, Common Gallinule, and Pied-billed Grebes...and hunters.

Nine Black-crowned Night Herons were back along the rear of the pond in
that little Island of trees that is near the very back of the pond.  These
have actually been there almost all month it seems in those same trees.
Also had the usual 2K GBHs (just kidding...more like 20)  and two Belted
Kingfishers.

Arial acrobatics were performed by over  50 Chimney Swifts and about the
same amount of Barn and Tree swallows...it was a bad day to be a bug. :-D

---

There were a few shorebirds in the "sky pond" along SR 95 close to Herr
Rd...one looked like a Western Sandpiper...but I never got a good look at
his bill...It had really good facial markings, and from what I could see on
its sides and wings, it looked like a Fall Juvenile.   Also had some
White-rumped and Semis.  Lesser Yellowlegs finished out the shorebirds at
the skypond.

The Herr Rd/Marion County Pond held basically Cormorants, and that is about
it.

An Eagle, Northern Harrier, and Red-tailed Hawk were among the raptors, and
Kestrels made up the falcons.

That is about it.

Have a great week, and God bless!

Steve J.