OHIO-BIRDS Archives

September 2014

From:
Jerry Talkington <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Jerry Talkington <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 29 Sep 2014 13:59:01 -0400
 The Wake Robin boardwalk has been active the past week with migrants. I tallied 5 Nelson's Sparrows, 7 Lincoln's Sparrows ,4 Marsh Wrens , many Song and Swamp Sparrows. Also seen in past few days were Orange-crowned Warbler ,Sora, Virginia Rail,  A. Pipit,Sharp-shinned Hawk, White-crowned and White-throated Sparrows to name a few.
 For those looking for Nelson's Sparrows keep in mind it is a very small and does't pump it's tail as takes flight . It is usually the last bird to take flight and flies the shortest distance . Watch for moving weeds as it moves like a Marsh Wren through the weeds . When it lands it will most likely stay longer than the other sparrows.
  If you don't press it and move back 20 feet or so it will often come to the same place . With patience and as little movement as possible  you may get as close as five feet to these little guys.
  I have stuck several dead branches in the  mud on west side of the pond for the birds . If you lucky you may see one on one of them.
  Good luck
  Jerry
Sent from my iPhone I L S