OHIO-BIRDS Archives

September 2014

From:
Dan Sanders <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Dan Sanders <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 3 Sep 2014 14:29:31 -0700
Hello All... We just got word that the Reddish Egret was still present as of 5:15 PM today (see specific directions to this location in an earlier post to Ohio Birds), so there still may be time for you to get there today, before dark. It has been flying back and forth between two large and longish 'pools' that are parallel and to the South of Taway Road. There is plenty of 'pull-off' parking along Taway Road. Please stay on the 'outside' of the guard rail for viewing, which is best with a scope. Also, there is a small parking area along Mooney Road (to the South) for viewing of the pool that is closer to the reservoir and dike. I believe that there have been quite a few good photographs taken by now, for documentation of this rarity, so please don't 'push' this bird for photographs... so that others from around Ohio (and beyond) will have an opportunity to see this rarity. For most observers, this will be an 'Ohio State Life Bird!", if not an out-right
 'life bird'! There is also a young Snowy Egret present, and when they are near each other, this provides for a good size comparison, for ID purposes.

Good luck, and Good Birding!
Dan

Dan Sanders
Central Ohio Birder