OHIO-BIRDS Archives

September 2014

From:
Bill Whan <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Bill Whan <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 4 Sep 2014 09:57:47 -0400
I wonder if a current or former employee is the most dispassionate
person to offer praise for ODNR.  The writer, who is undeniably a
genuine lover of wild birds of all species, still finds it necessary to
say the area mentioned is "paid for by hunting and fishing license."
KPWA has a decidedly checkered history with the birding and scientific
communities, and the first question one might ask is if the fall
draw-downs actually have--in writing--anything whatsoever to say about
planned stopover habitat for migrant shorebirds illegal to kill, but
rather quite different considerations for hunting (including several
species of shorebirds, of course). I agree with the writer that this
particular instance is good luck for shorebirds, but this seems to be a
genuine example of happenstance--"accidental habitats"--rather than
official concern for non-game species like turnstones (black-bellied
plovers and Wilson's snipes are game birds in Ohio statutes, with the
former only temporarily disallowed).
Bill Whan
Columbus