OHIO-BIRDS Archives

September 2014

From:
Blake Mathys <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Blake Mathys <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 4 Sep 2014 20:45:22 -0400
After leaving the Reddish Egret yesterday evening (when it was still in Delaware County) my wife and I drove under a flock of 11 Common Nighthawks as they flew over Route 4; they seemed to be heading northeast.

I stopped this evening and saw the egret in its new Union County location at the intersection of Tawa Road and Route 4. I was only there for a few minutes, but it didn't seem to be quite as active as it was yesterday. It was easily in view (although a scope was helpful) when I left around 5:30 this evening.

After supper I went outside to walk the dog (i.e., casually glance at the dog occasionally while looking for warblers). I was excited to see a BREWSTER'S WARBLER associating with a small mixed flock; it seemed to be staying close to a pure (at least, pure looking) Blue-winged Warbler. Looking at my Sibley guide, it seems to most closely match the 1st generation adult female illustration, and in some ways looked a lot like a Tennessee Warbler with large and bright yellow wingbars and a more distinct grayish eyeline.

Full Warbler list:
Brewster's Warbler (1)
Blue-winged Warbler (1)
American Redstart (4)