OHIO-BIRDS Archives

September 2014

From:
Nancy Anderson <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Nancy Anderson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 6 Sep 2014 18:28:35 -0700
As an update to my previous post I was at Villa Angela/Wildwood Parks today from 11:30am to after 6:30pm.  The American Bittern I found around 2pm was still there when I went to leave around 5:50pm.  It didn't seem to mind people walking by the creek edge.  I parked near Lakeshore and walked down to Euclid Creek and at first did not see it.  I walked to Lakeshore and back and it reappeared in the same area as earlier along the muddy east side of the creek sometimes standing in or on the Japanese knotweed so it blended in with it. I think it was hiding in the knotweed part of the time.

I ended up only finding Wilson's Warbler, Magnolia Warbler and Ovenbird and another unknown warbler sp.  There were originally 33 Bonaparte's Gulls on Euclid Beach but ended up with 55 on Villa Angela beach later with one Semipalmated Plover, three Spotted Sandpipers and the Solitary Sandpiper on Euclid Creek looked rather plump maybe a young bird greenish legs.  Many Turkey Vultures today, Green Heron in wetland, still two Wood Ducks, three Carolina Wrens (both parks) one Great Crested Flycatcher.  People have seen the Osprey this summer out on the lake and around the parks.  I didn't see it until late Thursday evening 9/4 in the tall dead tree in the Wildwood wetland.  I didn't see it today but was told it is usually seen later in the evening in the tall dead tree in wetland or in the very tall "live" tree seen from the bridge looking east where it is partially hidden.  I think it is a young one.

Nancy Anderson
Richmond Hts, OH
https://www.flickr.com/photos/nancy_a/?details=1