OHIO-BIRDS Archives

September 2014

From:
rob thorn <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
rob thorn <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 7 Sep 2014 06:01:17 -0400
On my way to see the Reddish Egret, I stopped to bird several areas of this south Delaware County reservoir. Early waterfowl season is in full swing here, so there was little for waterfowl, though Hogback basin had no hunters.  I stopped at New Galena boat launch, Cheshire boat launch, and Hogback Rd.  Highlights included:

Osprey - there are still 2 adults and 2 begging juveniles up at Hogback.  Ohio's Osprey must leave late, because Atlantic Osprey are already migrating (see totals for Cape May & Kiptopeke Hawk watches).

Herons - 1 Great Egret & 1 Green Heron were still along Hogback Rd

cormorants - small #s all along the reservoir.  They seem to know that hunters won't bother them.

Harrier - a juvenile was migrating past the Cheshire boat launch

Flycatchers - Pewees still widespread, but also had a calling Acadian at Hogback Rd and a Least Flycatcher at New Galena

Vireos - 2 singing Warbling Vireos and 1 Red-eyed were at New Galena

Wrens,Gnatcatchers - House Wrens in many locations, but no Gnatcatchers this morning.  They may be mostly gone now.

Thrushes - calling Wood Thrush & Swainson's Thrush were in the berry thickets along the trail at New Galena

Mimids - Catbirds were at every stop, but there was also a Brown Thrasher in the berry thickets at New Galena

Cedar Waxwings - small flocks in many locations, topped by a flock of 50 at New Galena

Warblers - hardly any, with a few Magnolias and Redstarts at several locations.

Icterids - a few small flocks of Red-winged Blackbirds, but no orioles at any stop.