OHIO-BIRDS Archives

September 2014

From:
robert lane <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
robert lane <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 7 Sep 2014 14:26:37 -0400
As many of you that subscribe to The Ohio Birds Listserv know, for numerous years I have posted highlights from this Ashtabula County birding hotspot; sometimes for probable self gratification, and hopefully other times, to provide noteworthy bird sightings to the Ohio birding community. The summer season and Labor Day have past by once again, the local Conneaut crazies have pretty much become a non distracting factor, and the infamous Port Authority grooming tractor appears to be retired for the year. The new annoyance is the abundance of what I consider non-birder photographers that seem to be flooding The Sandspit. I am not directing this statement toward dedicated birders that take photos, because I am one of them. Some of the photographers, by all means not all, that I am referring to, are like mercenaries, stalking the rare avian visitors on foot and in their vehicles, with their expensive and monstrous cameras, sometimes parking in the only remaining pool, to get close to the quarry, and even wearing wet suits to invade the visiting birds feeding areas. It was reported to me this morning, Sunday, that of the fifteen vehicles on The Sandspit at 8AM, twelve of them were photographers. My complaint is definitely a selfish one, this present eighty percent group is obviously using The Listserv for information, but are never going to provide any benefit to the birders that come here. The photographers do not post any of their sightings, and thus provide no record of what they see. It is unfortunate when birders wanting to see visiting celebrity birds do not get the opportunity, because of a select few of somewhat ruthless photographers, scaring the birds off. The Listserv is a wonderful tool, but sometimes provides a service that is not its intended purpose. Some birders will remember the most horrific, admitted use of The Listerv, by a group of hunters, that shot an immature male Harlequin Duck at East 72nd Street in Cleveland, on November 29th, 2008. Legally they did their deed in front of a group of birders, and then removed their trophy prize by boat, and then admitted how they found out about the Ohio unprotected rarity. Now you know part of my reluctance to post my sightings. Maybe we need to return to the days of phone call notifications. The problem with this is, that only a select few "Elitists" get to see the exciting and noteworthy finds. Highlights at The Sandspit by others this morning were 2 American Avocets, 2 Red Knots, 6 Common Mergansers, and a single Baird's Sandpiper.

Bob Lane / Mahoning County