OHIO-BIRDS Archives

September 2014

From:
Randy Rowe <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Randy Rowe <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 7 Sep 2014 20:17:04 -0400
Hi: As reported earlier by Su Snyder and Helen Ostermiller, things were
hopping at Wilderness Rd today. Following a call from Su, I was there from
5-7pm this evening. The two phalaropes, one each of Wilson's and Red-necked
in basic plumage, were still there in the pond nearest to Wilderness Rd
itself. In addition, in the mudflats a little further in from the road were
two buff-breasted sandpipers. The sanderling reported previously, a stilt
sandpiper, and 12 golden plovers were there as well. There were lots of
other shorebirds too.

Unfortunately, about 6pm or so, two juvenile bald eagles decided to strafe
the pond a few times, putting many of the shorebirds to flight. By 6:30 or
so, it seemed that about half the total population of shorebirds had left.
However, both phalaropes and at least one buff-breasted and four golden
plovers were still there when I left about 7pm.

This has been an amazing place for shorebirds the last few weeks. I was out
there yesterday morning and most of what I just discussed were not there.
Things change every day!  Randy Rowe, Wooster