OHIO-BIRDS Archives

September 2014

From:
Jeff Harvey <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Jeff Harvey <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 8 Sep 2014 08:17:13 -0700
I look at the issues raised at Conneaut in a bigger sense. Although the issue may not interest some, I see this as a bird conservation issue.  The loss of stopover habitat continues to force birds to find fewer areas to rest along migration.

The Conneaut sandspit has received a lot of activity this year from both birders and photographers. This has led to some issues.

Conneaut has been a stopover site for southbound shorebirds. These birds cross Lake Erie and look for suitable habitat to rest and feed. Conneaut Sandspit was not designed for birds but it happened to develop over time when the breakwalls were installed. The birds found the area and we (birders and photographers) followed. The locals look at the area as Daytona Beach (a playground).

When either birders or photographers or locals approach the birds either by design or accident and cause them to flush we are the problem. Not everyone approaches but some seem to always approach too close. If the bird flies to the other side of the sandspit they chase the bird and again approach.

As an example, I think Piping Plovers are still listed as Endangered but that still didn't stop locals from approaching  and causing the bird seen earlier this year to flush. They weren't doing it on purpose but just didn't know any better. A bird is a bird. The rest of us should know better but sometimes both birders and photographers get caught up in the find and don't think about their actions.

I am trying to find a compromise with the Port Authority on their actions but the visitors have to understand its not just about self gratification it is about the birds.

Our actions, whether individually or as a group, have an impact on the birds. When a member of either group goes into the water to get closer, that is crossing the line in my book. I have seen this type of activity on many of my visits at Conneaut and it is not the locals or the birders doing it. It shouldn't matter if it's a Least Sandpiper or a Red Knot -- give the bird a chance to rest.

Think about it.

Jeff Harvey
Mahoning County