OHIO-BIRDS Archives

September 2014

From:
Bill Whan <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Bill Whan <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 8 Sep 2014 16:29:56 -0400
For those interested, here are some web connections about this large new
body of water. The property, as I understand it, belongs to the City of
Columbus. An aerial view is on the reservoir's website at
http://columbusupgroundreservoirs.com/pdfs/Upground2012.pdf . This is a
three-year-old aerial photo, where you can still see some natural
features and a lot of construction underway.
        The upper left area of the pictured reservoir is where the reddish
egret has been seen in recent days; the place in which it was originally
found is at the upper right corner of the property. The water now in the
pool is pretty much from the Scioto River; as I understand it, it can
store nine billion gallons, which can be pumped into the Scioto at times
when Columbus needs it. This water is also likely to be a great benefit
for migrating waterfowl and possibly shorebirds, and I hope some skilled
observers, maybe from OSU, will be able to study it. Historically,
reservoirs have been most attractive to birdlife in the first few years
of their existence, but this one could be different.
        You can read the brief recreational plans in the body of website's
text, on the third page. The plans involve only the second area
mentioned above (not the reservoir itself, or the area where the egret's
been most often seen), and are to be managed by the Delaware Parks
system; some information will be found at their web site
http://www.preservationparks.com/parks-facilities/parks/park-district-map/
  , where little other than the location is now available; the opening
date is TBA.
        I don't know if this will be the largest upground reservoir in the
state; in addition, two others nearby are foreseen; see
http://www.msconsultants.com/water/drinking-water-systems/upground-reservoirs/
. It certainly will be the most secretive and expensive thus far.
        It would be interesting to know why the City of Columbus project turned
out to be so expensive--more than $122 million--and  provide hardly any
recreational features. There are plenty of upground reservoirs in the
state that aren't fenced in, or inaccessible to birders, fishers,
picnickers, etc. It looks more like a military facility than anything
else. You certainly get a chilly institutional feel upon visiting, but
there seems to be no reason it couldn't become friendlier in times to come.
Bill Whan