OHIO-BIRDS Archives

September 2014

From:
Haans Petruschke <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Haans Petruschke <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 9 Sep 2014 11:14:26 -0400
Hi,

Details on the Northern Wheatear:

The bird is being found along the beach at Headlands Dunes SNP between the
lighthouse jetty and about half SW along the dunes.  It is sticking to he
beach and avoiding the higher dunes and vegitation.  It likes to forage on
the sand and then get up onto the driftwood to look around.

The bird has a comfort zone of about 30 yards.  At this distance it mostly
watches the watchers.  At 50 yards it will forage and is less alert.

I would guess the bird will stick today and so it is worth the chase if you
can get there before dusk.

Haans