OHIO-BIRDS Archives

October 2014

From:
Paul Hurtado <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Paul Hurtado <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 20 Oct 2014 13:29:05 -0400
A dozen or so birders were treated to nice close looks at two LE CONTE'S
SPARROWS this morning, near the location I had one yesterday (different
bird!).

Both birds were along the "Rail Trail" (see the park map on the Metro Parks
website
<http://www.metroparks.net/UserUploads/UserImages/2014_Images/BDC_map_AUG_2014_2400px.png>
) and responded very well to playing a recording from my Sibley app on my
phone.  To get there, park at the "Wet Prairie" trails parking lot (Teal
loop to the north, Harrier trail to the south) across from the bison area.

The first was right along the trail on the west edge of the small pond.

The second bird we had this a.m. (same bird I had yesterday, most likely)
was still on the other side of the pond, and also came in nice and close in
response to playing Le Conte's song and calls from my phone.  To find this
location, walk across the boardwalk along the Rail Trail, and where it
bends right as it exits the cattails, look left for some tire tracks
heading off into the grass. Follow these a short distance until you reach
an area of low vegetation -- some darker brown patches and some patches of
small white flowers (composites/asters) -- the bird could be anywhere in
the shorter vegetation bordered by the tall grass off to the south and
east, and the cattails to the west. Again, I recommend trying some
recordings (which worked his a.m.) vs. trying to see it by walking the area
(which didn't work for a group that walked this very area earlier this
morning).

I HIGHLY recommend coordinating with other birders, going as a group,
keeping eyes and ears peeled.

Also, some other birders saw one, maybe two NELSON'S SPARROWS on the east
side of he Teal trail loop, near the small sign where the trail bends
right. We had what was very likely one of these birds across the trial from
the sign a short while later, but never saw it well enough to confirm the
ID.

We also had a flyover BUFF-BREASTED SANDPIPER that might show up (or not)
on the sod fields off Darby Creek Rd or Kuhlwein Rd. -- so definitely give
those a look if you have time.

Good birding,
-Paul Hurtado